A “precinct” is the smallest political unit in the country. Each precinct corresponds to one polling place. A precinct is your neighborhood! In Legislative District 18, there are forty-two precincts.
The Precinct Committee Member
The role of Precinct Committee member (PC) is at the core of political party activity. As a PC, you are a representative of the Democratic Party in your precinct, or neighborhood. Elections are truly won or lost in precincts, especially in Maricopa County, and PCs are vital to ensuring strong Democratic support for Democratic candidates and issues.
PCs are elected during the Primary election and serve a two-year term. PCs can also be appointed by the County Chair. Any registered Democrat is eligible to be a PC in the precinct where she/he lives as long as they are willing to do the work!
The primary role of the PCs for each precinct is to work together; to serve as the connection between the Democratic Party, the voters and our Democratic elected officials; and to represent your entire precinct within the Party.
Specific Duties of PCs include:
- Keep informed on current issues and candidates.
- Attend meetings of the Maricopa County Democratic Party and your Legislative District (LD).
- Attend training sessions to improve skills and effectiveness as a PC.
- Support nominees of the Democratic Party and educating voters about the Democratic Party, its nominees, and Democratic issues.
- Build relationships with Democrats in your precinct by door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, and/or organizing informational gatherings in order to share information regarding Democratic candidate, issues or values.
- Recruit and maintain contact with precinct volunteers to assist with GOTV and other Democratic Party activities such as door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, and/or organizing informational gatherings.
- Collect contact information and pertinent information from Democrats in your precinct and submit that information to MCDP or LD, in a timely fashion.
- Participate in recurring donation program at any amount or recruit a willing donor.
New PCs should plan on spending 4-5 hours a month, and more at election time.
For more information about being a Democratic Party PC in Legislative District 18 please send a request through our Contact form.