It is with great sorrow that we say goodbye to Jean Norris-Wilhelm, a Carriage Lane PC with LD18 for many years. She and her spouse Kathy will be celebrated at The Alzheimer’s Association Desert Southwest Chapter’s 11th Annual A Love Not Forgotten Virtual Gala, is dedicated to funding Alzheimer’s care, research and programs in Arizona and Southern Nevada.
Jean and Kathy Norris-Wilhelm, who have made it their mission to raise Alzheimer’s awareness in Arizona. A dedicated teacher, wife, mother and friend — Jean has been such a positive influence in the lives of so many. She was diagnosed with younger-onset Alzheimer’s in 2016 at the age of 55. Kathy and Jean have been a dynamic duo, facing Jean’s diagnosis head on, never letting it define them. Join us to hear their story and honor Jean’s life.
At this time when the news is dominated by COVID-19, we want to personally reach out and let you know what we are doing and advising in order to ensure safety while preserving efficiency in this vital election year.
LD18 Democrats will continue to post on our website the events/meetings that continue as scheduled but perhaps with modifications in delivery (e.g., live streaming rather than face-to-face). Some events/meetings will continue as scheduled, but please use your best personal judgment to determine your participation. Other events/meetings will be cancelled and, hopefully, rescheduled when possible. The website calendar is your best source for information regarding the status of events/meetings.
Below is the ADP/LD18 Policy that specifically references Party events/meetings. Below that, we have reprinted the CDC guidelines, including social distancing.
From all of us at ADP and LD18 Democrats, please stay healthy.
LD18 Democratic Party Events
● Public gatherings and events are the natural inclinations of a political party. We are using every precaution and where necessary will cancel events deemed to be too high risk, especially when they involve high-risk participants, such as the elderly.
● We are continuing to explore alternative meeting methods for larger events that we scheduled throughout the year and will keep you posted as developments are made.
● We will attempt, where possible, to hold meetings among Chairs, LDs, Precinct Committeemen (PCs), leaders, organizers, and personnel virtually using Google Hangouts, Zoom, and conference calls.
● The ADP and Arizona Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (ADLCC) recommend that all canvassing stops until further notice.
● In order to win majorities in November, we have a lot of persuadable voters we need to connect with. The best way to do that is phones, email, digital apps, and other internet communications.
● Don’t stop campaigning. This election is as critical as any in our lifetimes, but let’s begin to change the nature of our campaign efforts to consider the public health reality.
● This is an unprecedented event for campaigns and we want everyone to take every step to ensure the health and safety of volunteers.
The CDC offers these general guidelines to stay healthy:
● Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
● Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
● Stay home when you are sick.
● Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
● Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
● Get enough sleep, stay hydrated, eat healthy, and manage stress.
The CDC recommends these highest priority actions to take:
● Make sure you and your family members have supplies on hand, including required medications for chronic conditions (one month or more).
● Stock up on groceries to be able to stay home for long periods (two weeks or more).
● Avoid crowds.
● Avoid physical contact at meetings.
● Maintain personal hygiene.
● All at-risk individuals should avoid nonessential travel and cruise ships.
● Stay up to date on the situation in your communities (Arizona Department of Health Service, or AZDHS).
● If you are concerned about your personal health and need to make alternative work arrangements or take time off, please do.
● If you are a caregiver to an immunocompromised person and need to make alternative work arrangements or take time off, please do.